Friday, October 9, 2009

White Man's Overbite

So I was on vacation driving on Highway 101 north of San Francisco when in front of me I saw a car with its left blinker blinking continuously. Now when wondering what demographic the driver of that car might be I have to admit my thoughts drifted to one adorable demographic—old. And as I drive by I realize that my horrible stereotyping has been proven once again. And I’m like, “come on bro…do your sector a favor and stand against the stereotypes of the blinking blinker, but no, you’ve given further validation for stereotypes that fit.”

Why don’t I bite my bottom lip when rocking the baby on the dance floor? Why don’t I try to get rim in gym full of athletes? Why don’t I wear white tennis shoes with white washed Levi’s jeans? Why won’t I put polarizing Christian bumper stickers on the back of my vehicle? Because I don’t want to affirm certain misguided and categorizing stigmas that affect whatever demographic I might find myself in. I don’t want to give anyone any more ammunition to hold onto negative thoughts and presumptuous attitudes towards me and the group that I represent.

So here’s my question: Should the Church care about breaking down and avoiding certain stereotypes that are often attached to Christians or the Church? Should we be aware of what others think of us, expect from us, and the thoughts that they’re connecting with us? And if so, should we do things differently in order to combat those generalized stereotypes?

Let’s discuss.

Jeff

No comments: